Monday, March 16, 2009

Running in the Moonlight

Hey Guys,

Well I made it through the Moonlight Run; this race is always so fun and challenging! We started out the day late (as per usual with us) and not getting to Lethbridge until 3:45ish. We went straight to pick up our race packages and get our cozy moonlight run sweaters. Chad and I bet a pair of socks every year on what the colors of the shirts will be...somehow I always end up handing it over to him (by suggesting what color he should choose), alas I owe him another pair of socks!

After we got everything we headed out to a friends house for dinner. Since we were late, we had dinner late, and were almost late for the race....we do this every year too! So I am rushing to the start line with a full belly of yummy spaghetti (thanks Aimee:) trying to elbow my way up closer to the start. Everybody was jumping around to this crazy aerobic warm up thing they do every year, you should see it arms and legs everywhere! I made it through to the front without losing an eye and got ready to run.

This race starts out running down the coulee...2km down the coulee to be exact and then you run around the bottom and the 2 km back up the hill to finish. Unlike Chad I managed to avoid the road signs :):):) I was running as hard as I can down the hill weaving in and out of all of the people to the bottom. Once it flattened out and I didn't have gravity helping me out I started to feel the spaghetti making some noise. As I continued to run along I was burping like crazy...and every time hoping that it would only be a burp and nothing else...blah. After running in the pitch black I made it back to the hill...which seemed waaaay easier than previous years! So hear is how it turned out:

Time: 52:18, 1:02 minutes faster than last year.
Place: 15/69 in my age group
Overall: 163/567

I am curious as to how this race goes if I am not stuffed to the brim with food??? One year I will get it right!

I have been doing this race for 5 years, this was the second road race I ever did! In 2005 my time was 1:06:24...so I am getting there! Next goal is under 50 min for a 10 km run.

Yesterday we were up after not much sleep to go to rock climbing. We got in a few more climbs this time and learned some technique work. My legs were a little tired as they were shaking uncontrollably when I was up on the wall. I was getting some of the technique down because my lats are soooo very sore today!! As are my legs from running...I am hobbling around like I am 102 years old!

Last night swimming was hard. Greg was not my favorite person last night! We did 5 x 100m, 4 x 100m, 3 x 100m, 2 x 100m, 100m WITH 4 x 25m FAST in between each set. By the end I am sure my arms were not even coming out of the water! Looking at it doesn't seem so bad, but those 25m sprints did you in for the following 100's. I had to go over to the wussy edge to get out of the pool because lifting myself out onto the bulk head wasn't going to happen!

Since I still have a hard time walking I won't be running today:( It looks nice and sunny out too. I will be on the trainer tonight trying to spin out my legs!

1 comment:

Lisa Ulrich said...

Awesome Leslie! Good job on the 10km PB!

And that swim set is definitely hard! I have done it before but not with the 4x25 in between - yuck!