Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bits and Pieces

Hey Gang,

So last February I think it was I remember chatting with Greg about running efficiency. It made sense training your body to run faster while keeping the ticker under control so you don't collapse when trying to do something like an Ironman! For the most part I thought I was really getting there, I have come a long way....but still have a lot of room to improve.

In Feb/March this year I was working on having a faster leg turnover, getting the legs moving....again more efficiently. It was amazing to see how much my speed I got from doing this without killing myself aerobically. I was seeing improvements in that as well it was becoming more natural to run that way, but I was only doing it when I was told to, not all of the time. At some point among the many weeks off I have had due to illness I forgot about this.

Last week I had a lot of intervals and each time I was half way through the workout and almost dying until figured out I was running faster, but working waaaaay harder than I should be. It finally clicked, I need to start focusing more when I run and thinking about efficiency ALL of the time....not just running....and not be off in la la land the entire time (which is where I usually am when I run:). So I guess what I am babbling about is that I am finally starting to get it, I know what I need to do to get a little faster.

I did try to apply this to the 10km race I did on Saturday and for the first 5km it went well but then other factors like extreme cramping and asthma started to kick in. Chad was feeling just as crappy so I am glad it wasn't just me! The course was a 2 loop course with a big hill at the end of each loop...it was at that point on the first lap it became about survival for me. The second loop was slower, but I still made it through. My time was 52:15 by my watch and the official time was 52:39 I think. About the same as I was for the Moonlight run a month ago. One of these times I will not eat so much before I run 10 km and avoid the cramping situation all together.

The last couple of days have been about recovery. Nothing too exciting in that regard.

Rexy has bounced back to her crazy energetic self and is driving us crazy! It doesn't matter what it is but if she can pick it up and chew it she will. Yesterday she ate my book, the grocery list out of my purse, part of the yoga mat box....Every time I think I have puppy proofed the house she finds something new!

Happy Training!

4 comments:

Chad Geiger said...

Happy Birthday Leslie!

Lisa Ulrich said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Thanks to Chad I just found out it was your birthday!

Marc Sharkey said...

Happy Birthday Leslie!!!

Julie said...

Hee-hee! Hey stranger! I'll be seeing you at the race in Lethbridge this weekend. :)

I was thinking about last year's race, which prompted me to come and have a peek at your blog.

Happy Birthday and looking forward to seeing you and Chad again! :) :)