Monday, June 2, 2008

Biking in Banff


Hmmm, what does this remind you of ???? This was the grease mark on my leg after biking on Thursday!

Well I am glad to say that I did not get hit by lightening on last Thursdays ride. Actually it was sunny and nice, but all around us you could see the dark clouds and where it was raining! We rode out on the Cochrane road and did some intervals down in aero. This was my first ride outside with the group, I got dropped right away and I am okay with that. I chatted with Chad after that I would rather ride with people who are faster than me because that is how I am going to get better...it gives me an extra push!


On Friday I snuck out from work to get a run in. It was really warm and sunny outside which was a nice change from running in the rain. That night I also went for a swim, which turned out to be less of a internal battle than usual to get myself to the pool! I had a good swim, I felt really comfortable in the water. Unlike biking and running I find that if I don't think about what I am supposed to be doing I swim much better!

Saturday morning I was up at the ungodly hour of 7 am to go to work for a few hours. Chad was getting ready to head out to Banff when I got home and we were off shortly after that. Once we got out to Banff it was beautiful and sunny outside. Chad was full of piss and vinegar for the first 90 min of the ride....then he was not too happy. Turns out from Banff to Lake Louise it is a constant climb. We were climbing up and up and up, everytime we thought we might be done climbing we would come around the corner and see yet another hill....from behing me I would here phrases such as "aaawwww f@#$%$#@" or "my legs are burning!"

We headed into Lake Louise and found the Petro Canada and fueled up. I think that Chad learned that he has to eat a lot more to make it through 4 hours of biking! Once we were fed and happy we headed back up the hill. The way back to Banff was a lot more fun due to going downhill for awhile on the way back!

Needless to say Chad didn't opt to do a brick workout with me when we got back to the truck. He looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he would like to come! Guess not. Anyway off I went and left him to sit and enjoy the feeling of dead legs! I ran for 25 min and decided to call it quits on the last 5 min of the run. My asthma was really starting to act up by the end of the bike and it only got worse on the run. I have never had that happen before....maybe it was because we were in the mountains?? I'm not sure.
I was good and tired when I woke up yesterday and I felt like doing nothing! I eventually got up and went for my run, clean the house, do the laundry...other than that I was very lazy! It was awesome! Anyway gotta go to bed, bye!

3 comments:

Lisa Ulrich said...

Good job on the long ride and the long climb Leslie! And good for you to go for the transition run even though you didn't want to. I know the feeling!

runningman said...

THAT'S AN M DOT!!! I TOTALLY SAW IT BEFORE I EVEN READ YOUR POST!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you guys ride on highway 1 or 1A between Banff to Lake Louise? If you didn't do 1A, try that next time. It's beautiful down that highway.

alan