Monday, June 8, 2009

Bring on Boise

I sooo super duper really really excited to be leaving tonight on holidays. The best thing about our holidays, they always include a race in there somewhere!! But first before I get too ahead of myself here's how the weekend went.

Saturday morning I was up at 7:50...yes I know my mornings get earlier and earlier on the weekends! I have my own personal giant grey alarm clock that always wakes me up between 7 and 8 am! Chad of course hears nothing....

Once I took Rexy out I ate and then laid back down on the couch to wait for my food to digest a bit. Then I was out the door for my run. I am not normally running by 9am on a Saturday but it was kind of nice. It took me awhile to get warmed up as I was still feeling a little sleepy (it takes me around 2 hours to wake up:). Once I got going I noticed that the only other people out on the trails this early are other runners...people who look like they are running for a purpose and training for something. It was a nice change from the bikers, walkers, random people yelling and floating down the river, people having family picnics, the random runners who sound like they are going to have a heart attack...seriously slow down a little and you will still be running and able to breathe! Anyway I had a good run, feeling good leading up to my race and it was nice to have it done early in the day.

Once I got home we got everything together and went out to Vulcan for the Tinman Triathlon. This was Chad's first sprint distance and I was excited for him...perhaps even more than he was. We got there and it was raining pretty good. Chad really didn't want to do the race. He went and checked in and to go and set up for transition and next thing I know he is beside me telling me he didn't want to do it. I know how he felt...I go through this all of the time...I get so nervous that I just don't want to do it! I told him in the nicest possible way to suck it up and get in the pool. I don't think he was very happy with that but he did it:) Tough love honey, tough love. You would do the same thing to me so I didn't feel bad. For my first half he had to pretty much push me into Sylvan Lake...I wanted to stay crying under the tree but he wouldn't let me:)

His race went great! He looked so strong for the whole thing! We were both happy to get into the truck and warm up at the end though...my feet were so wet and cold I think it would have been easier to race. Being a spectator is hard work!

Yesterday I rode on the trainer. I found it hard to stay focused on what I was doing so every once in awhile I had to watch my numbers so maintained some kind of intensity! Swimming last night was good. We did some 100's....getting race ready! I had a hard time staying focused at swimming too, I think I just had so much to do before we left I had a hard time paying attention to my workouts!

I am feeling ready to race and I am excited to see if I can push it a little bit this year now that I can actually bike and run at different paces rather than just trying to finish! My goal as always is to PB; my times for the Desert Half last year are:

Swim: 39:32
Bike: 3:42
Run: 2:28
Total: 6:56

This was on a crazy hilly course though and by the time I got to the run I was just trying to finish! If I could get 6:45 I would be happy, this course looks hilly too so I'll have to get my climbing legs ready! I'll try to keep you updated!!

Happy Training!

4 comments:

Susi said...

ya, first race of the season! i'm super excited for you and will be sending you mucho positive energy. you are going to be amazing out there and those hills are going to be nothing to you!

too funny about having to nudge chad into race! you guys are so awesome together - a definite team!

GO GET THEM ROCKSTAR!!

Jenna said...

Go! Go! Go!
Good luck to you!!!!

Shannon Wicks said...

Best of luck this weekend!

Julie said...

Good luck to you Leslie!!! You are going to rock that course!! YAHOOOO!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)