Monday, February 2, 2009

Long time, no blog

Wow, it has almost been a week since I updated last...that doesn't happen often!

This is Rexy chewing on my bike shoe...that thing was out if my gym bag for about 30 seconds before she grabbed it and ran away! Notice the chewed up water bottle in the background too!

Here's how last week went:

Tuesday: Time trial. I am not going to lie, it wasn't what I expected and didn't go the way I planned. First off I started in the wrong gear which led to me going why in the hell is my heart rate so high and why am I pedaling so slow....hmmm. It only took me a few minutes to figure that out. Once I did it didn't get any better. Man o man it was a tough one. I couldn't get my legs to go fast enough. Oh well, live and learn. I did have the sweat drips rollin though, holly crap. we were about 3/4 of the way through and I was so focused I didn't even notice Greg standing there trying to check what my heart rate was at!

Wednesday: I woke up to some very very tired legs. I rolled myself out of bed....way too late and ran around to get to work on time. I got to work and after about an hour I called my co-worker to see where she was. Yeah not coming in....thanks for the heads up! The rest of the day was crazy busy, I hardly got a chance to eat, missed my run, and no one else was really a team player that day.

I made it to my swim that night (after I had a nap:) and tried my very best to convince everyone to go for a drink. I almost had them, but then Chad and Greg jumped in the pool. After standing there for a couple of minutes (and watching Darryl jump in), I eventually jumped in and worked out some of my frustration from the day.

Thursday: I left in the afternoon to get my run in that I missed. It was awesome; although it was freaking windy for the first half I was having a great time. The last 20 min of my run I had to change pace every 2-3 min. This combined with working on my leg turnover; I felt like I was tearing up the trails. There were times I may have bumped it up a little too much, as I could hardly breathe...but it was awesome. That is one reason why I do all of this training, because when you have training sessions like this it all becomes worth it!

That night I had a nutrition talk to go to so I missed spin class and I didn't get home until after 9pm...by that time I was too pooped out to get on the trainer.

Friday: I went to the doc to see what is going on and why I am so tired/feeling crappy. Lets just say he didn't tell me anything I hadn't figured out on my own. He said I may be slightly anemic and I just need to rest more. I find this amazing. He didn't ask me ANYTHING about my lifestyle, eating habits, stress, work, etc. I have IBS and Eczema, both of which have been really inflamed lately. He rushed me in and out of there and that was that, I was in there for 5 mins....just long enough for him to check my blood pressure. He wouldn't tell me what it was when I asked and told me it was "fine." I have to go and get blood work done, which he will probably tell me to "rest" again and toss me out the door.

I understand that we don't have enough health care professionals, but I don't think that it should be allowed not to hear people out. Usually when people have multiple symptoms, they are being caused by one thing. So instead of me having 5, 5 min appointments, lets do one 15-20 min one and figure out what the hell is going on and then I won't be back again. Does this make sense??? I know it has to do with billing, blah, blah, blah. While you are doing the usual stuff in there can't you hear what else the patient has to say at least to make the diagnosis easier????? Okay, I am done my rant about the health care system. Maybe it is because I had the same small town doctor for 20 years and he always addressed the issue and got it dealt with.

Anyway, my weekend was good. I biked, ran, and swam. All of them were good quality training, and nothing too eventful happened! Chad did swim 3.8 km so I am trying to convince him to do a half this summer....I may need some help with that one!

Have a great week of training everyone!

2 comments:

Keith said...

Most medical professionals are just that, pro's, and they respond to your questions and situations. Sounds like yours is a jerk.

Should have said to him 'how do you know what's normal for me? Tell me the numbers and I'll tell you if it's normal.'

Don't be afraid to take charge. You pay him, after all. Indirectly, but so what. Go in with a list of questions, and don't be afraid to (at least try to) book a few minutes extra. You have complex issues, and if you don't make sure they are dealt with, nobody else will.

Geoff Ulrich said...

i'd say over half the doctors i have seen in the past ten years have been exactly as you just described. Their favorite phrase is "oh it's probably nothing", like they have x-ray vision and tell just by looking at you, I'm with u the health care system is frickin scary