Thursday, August 26, 2010

Guess what time it is...

Hello all,

I challenge you all to take the following clues and to guess what is happening:

- I am tired all of the time
- I am hungry ALL OF THE TIME!
- I am grouchy
- I have had a couple of those days where I just don't want to run anymore
- My body is achy - more particularly my lower body

That's right it is taper time!!!

So here is what has been going through my head lately. I have no idea if I am ready for this race. I feel as though I have not trained enough, but lets be honest I am doing 1/3 of the training that I usually do. I would have to be running miles upon miles upon miles everyday to feel the same way going into an Ironman.

I was pretty excited to get the terrible taper feelings because that means my body is recovering and I must have done some training to feel this way. Also going to Saskatoon did not help my training at all - 1 week no running other than trying my damndest to keep up to Rexy on the course...maybe I can count that as training!

So here is what I don't know - I have no idea if I am ready, I have no idea if I have trained enough, and I have no idea how this is going to go. Here is what I do know - I am going to go and run my first marathon and see what happens, I have done this before when biking and swimming first (how bad can it be?), I will embrace the race and have some fun out there!

All you marathoners and ultra marathoners out there - any advice for the big day?

7 comments:

runningman said...

Have a great race Leslie!! Enjoy the taper. Don't really have any advice that you probably don't already know. Try to go all liquid for nutrition, don't have to worry so much about getting in calories, just mostly eletrolytes(in my opinion, but you'll know better). And of course pace yourself, the marathon can be more painful than the IM cause you run harder. But then again, everyone's different. For me at least IM=more fatigue, Marathon=more muscle pain. Let me know what you think after, I'm sure you'll have another view point.

Shannon Wicks said...

Good luck & enjoy your race!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am not a runner, but my view has always been that races are rewards for all the hard work you have put in, it helps me out on the course and makes the finish all that much sweeter

Lisa Ulrich said...

Haha, Leslie, I thought at the beginning of your post with your symptoms that you were going to announce you were preggo! LOL!

Anyway, that is so exciting your marathon is coming up! You will do just fine, just follow your planned taper and your race plan. You have put in the work already, now it's time to let the body rest and recover. Good luck!

Julie said...

I'm with Lisa -- I was totally thinking you were going to say you were preggers!!!!

Good luck on your race -- enjoy it Leslie. You deserve it! :)

Jenna said...

I was thinking PREGNANT! Ha! Need a race report soon :)

runningman said...

Coming up this weekend, have a great race Leslie!